Monday, January 9, 2012

Review - Garnier BB Cream

L'Oreal brought Garnier's BB Cream to the shops this year. It costs 12-14 €. There is 50 ml of product. I received mine in December at the blogger meet's gift baggies.

There are two shades - 02 light and 03 medium, mine is light. 



They claim this is a daily 5-in-1 moisturiser; 24H moisture, even skin tone, blurs lines and imperfections, boosts healthy glow and UVA/UVB - SPF 15. It contains mineral pigments and vitamin C derivatives. 
This is not a tinted moisturizer. BB Cream's BB means Beauty Balm and/or Blemish Balm. Tinted moisturizer is what the name means, a tinted moisturizer, whereas BB cream traditionally was created to be a product with some healing properties. BB Creams origin is in Asia where women with scars etc other skin issues wanted something to use to cover and heal the skin issues. Although Wikipedia says BB Cream originated from Germany and dermatologists used that to help laser surgery patients but BB Creams are huge in Asia. L'Oreal's representative told us the story, but I did not make notes and I'm fairly sure she said BB Creams are from Asia originally. 

I really like this. Even though the cream is very thick it blends out beautyfully and is not thick on the skin. 


This is the only BB Cream I have tried and I have understood that usually BB Creams are thick, and when applied they look a little grayish but eventually the color changes to match the wearer's. 

This is not thick when it is applied, and it does not look gray at first. It has a strong scent, one that I don't really like. It seems to disappear during the day. It's fresh, but I feel it is too strong, however it does not stop me from using this because I really like this product. 

It gives less coverage than light coverage foundation. The coverage is what I assume you get from tinted moisturizers. I have never tried those. 

BB Cream already applied

This blends out very nicely. I have mostly used brushes, but it works just fine if it is applied with fingers. I don't use something like Sigma's F80 or the like. I rather use a traditional foundation brush for this, you the kind that look like a paint brush.

My BB Creams is in the lightest shade, 02 light. I simply don't visibly tan in the summer, I could lay in the sun for the entire day for the whole summer and I would not get visible tan lines. I do get a just tad bit darker but no one else notices it but me. There hardly is a difference. This would be perfect for me then. I think I am going to try this in the summer. With that said, it is just a tiny bit too dark for me in the winter, but I can still wear it just fine. I just need to blend it really well down my neck too. I wish they'd brought an even lighter shade to the stores. The lightest shade sold could still be lighter than 02 light. 

I use this on those days when I am in a hurry in the morning and don't have time to do my foundations. I also use this on those days when I don't want to do my foundation, that I just want something to even out my skin. 

I normally take a shower in the morning or use a toner if I am not taking a shower in the morning. I moisturize my face and then apply the BB Cream. I have also some mornings only applied this and not used an extra moisturizer. I don't see a difference when I do either of the previously mentioned ways. I have dry/combination skin. I have never applied powder on top of this because I do not need to. This looks very natural and I am definitely going to purchase this when I run out of mine. I read from other blogs the oily or oily/combination skin needs powdering definitely.


INCI:
Aqua, Isonyl isononanoate, Isohexadecane, Glycerin, Alcohol denat., PEG-20 methyl glucose sesquistearate, Ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, Methyl glucose sesquistearate, Cetyl palmitate, Nylon-12, Cyclohexasiloxane, Propylene glycol, Hydrogenated polyisobutene, Stearyl alcohol, Argilla/Magnesium aluminum silicate, Phenoxyethanol, Parfum/Fragrance, Caprylyl glycol, Lithium magnesium sodium silicate, Disodium EDTA, Linalool, Benzyl salicylate, Limonene, Caffeine, Ascorbyl glucoside, Geraniol, Cellulose acetate butyrate, Polyphosphorylcholine glycol acrylate, Citral, Ammonium polyacryldimethyltauramide/Ammonium polyacryloyldimethyl taurate, Polyvinyl alcohol, Sodium chloride, Butylene glycol, Sodium hyaluronate, [+/- may contains Cl 77891/Titanium dioxide, Cl77491, Cl77492, Cl77499/Iron oxides]

I color-coded as well as I could and the categories are listed below. The categories are from Cosmetic Ingredient Directory. Just find the product from the alphabetalized list and read more about it. Some products in the Inci did not get a good smiley face, for example Alcohol denat. got :| and limonene and linalool got :(. Most ingredients in this product got :).

skin-conditioning agent
humectant,
emollient/surfactant/cleansing agent
emollient/skin-conditioning agent 
absorbent/thickening agent 
emollient/slip agent/silicone 
emollient/thickener/emulsifier 
preservatives 
fragrance/irritant
antibacterial/antiacne
Antioxidant/Vitamins 


Have you already tried this or are you planning on trying this? 

5 comments:

  1. I wish this worked as nicely for me as it did for you! Unfortunately I'm one of those combo/oily skinned people and it doesn't work for me :( Even if I powder it, it slides off in this weird milky mess the second I start sweating. It's quite bizarre!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is not _supposed to be_ just a tinted moisturizer, but from what I have heard from BB Cream fans, it is not a BB Cream neither. I haven't tested real BB Creams, but I think this was very similar to tinted moisturizers. Not bad in any way, but after trying this I still consider I haven't tried any BB Creams yet and I'd like to buy one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont think I said it WAS a tinted moisturizer, just similar. I meant to say there is a difference, and i dont know what it is cause i havenot tried tinted moisturizers, but i was assuming the coverage to be similar to a tinted moisturizers coverage

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't mean that you said that - I was commenting on the fact that you said that it IS NOT a tinted moisturizer. I myself don't know what in this product makes it a different thing than a tinted moisturizer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well it isn't a tinted moisturizer. ;)


    Oh god I just read the whole text again... Typos, grammar mistakes and repetitive sentences... I should have read this through several times before scheduling it... :/

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated! :)

Comment moderation is in use due to the increased number of spam comments.

Thank you for commenting!

PS. Finnish is good too.